Friday, October 11, 2019

Humans of LBCC 3&4











Jackson Finnan



Jackson is a sophomore in his first year at LBCC.






“I went to high school in corvallis, and last year I went down to California and went to Chico State. I played baseball there, and I decided I was going to go to community college for a year. I was going to go to one in California, but it was just to expensive. Decided to come back home, save some money. I was a walk on. I’m currently playing on the baseball team here.”






“The classes here seem pretty similar, not too hard yet. First week, mostly syllabus stuff so far. Chico State was obviously a lot bigger, the buildings were more spread out, this is just one building so it’s a lot easier to find your way around. I feel like there’s more communication between the students here, just cuz it’s smaller and being in a college with 25,00o kids you don’t see the same people ever really. I think at a state school people are a lot less active and talk less than they do here; I guess there are more familiar faces seeing everyone around all the time.”


“It’s good to see people from high school, run into a familiar face every once and awhile. It was good (to get out of the state for a year) I’m actually probably looking to get back there after a year.









Jade Hayes



Jade is a freshman at LB, majoring in business administration. She’s on the volleyball team at the college, and wants to own her own business in the future.





“Yeah, I’d say that I’m an optimistic person. I have to try to be optimistic; it doesn’t always end up like that. It’s definitely something I have to try to be. I’d say it’s important to try to be that way, because it just improves your life.





Jade moved to Albany from Mackenzie, a small town that she says makes Albany seem like a big city.





“I think the biggest thing with moving was being away from family, and having to just go straight into things. When I moved here, it was just 8AM practices then 5PM practices. Just like “go go go go.” I never had an adjustment period, it was just like senior summer, and then boom you’re a college student. It’s really nice to be on the volleyball team. There are 15 people on the volleyball team, and it’s great because there are 15 people that you already know pretty well. It provides a nice foundation.”





“If there was part of my mentality that I think has helped me the most, it’s just the idea that I need to stick with it. I don’t always want to be here, and sometimes I wonder “can I do this?” But then my teammates and other people just come to me and say “yeah you can do this, just stick with it. It’s simple but it works.”

No comments:

Post a Comment