Monday, December 2, 2019

End of Term Questions

My Best Photo This Term:
Demetry Arellano weaves through defenders Noah Crawford, PK Bean, and Spencer Madsen during a small-sided scrimmage.
This photo was my favorite that I took this term. In this photo the subject is Demetry(yellow penny) and he is facing the camera and the concentration shows on his face. I adjusted the setting well and used Photoshop effectively to crop the image. If I recall correctly it wasn't particularly well received because most of the players in the image were marginalized because they were facing away from the camera, but in my opinion that is what makes it a good picture. This image is reminiscent of viral photos taken at professional matches--like the one attached below-- where one player is shown to be taking on many; the lack of consideration given to defenders is what makes it a good photo.
Image result for messi surrounded by defenders


Photojournalism Goals
I want to get photos into the Commuter, I want to expand my photo editing skills, and I want to embrace interviewing strangers and subjects, as that part is still hard for me.

I'm still working on getting those photos in the Commuter, but I have expanded my understanding of Photoshop and while the prospect of interviews is still daunting, it is much easier than it was at the beginning of term. I feel that my process for taking photos involves more seeking of perspective. In the photo above, I've moved behind a goal to get better shots of the players on offense, rather than just standing on the sideline. I have a better understanding of how framing my subjects can alter the perception of them, as will be seen in my photo story, where I feel I have taken some powerful images that are yet to be edited. I feel that my interview skills have advanced more than my photography skills; I view this as a positive because I think it is more requisite to what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment