Friday, November 1, 2019

Week 3 Blog Forum (Late)

Shooting an Event
I shot the West Albany Boys Soccer JV Team playing away at Silverton High School. I was attracted to this event because I am a varsity coach, and it represented something that I love and am interested in shooting but also a convenient loop hole. The shoot was focused around the college students who coached the team rather than the team itself, per the parameters of the assignment.
The rain and the cold represented to minor challenges to my shoot; however, the most persistent hindrance was the size of the field and the lack of variability in range and angle that was available. As the coaches face the field at basically all times, there was no way I was going to get a shot head on that wasn't taken from over 50 yards away. I tried to create an advantage from this by setting myself along the sideline and getting images with the bench in the foreground and out of focus to add perspective.
If I were to shoot this assignment again, I would probably shoot something else as I didn't consider it would represent a conflict of interest. In an artistic sense, I would have brought a tripod. Many of my potentially better photos were blurry because of the lengths I had to go to to get well lit photos in fleeting light on a cloudy afternoon.
Some of my photos I was satisfied with, although the poor choice of subject and event never let me create a quality assignment.

Self-Critique

This photo is my favorite that I've taken. This was the first shoot where I was able to use the actual camera. While the technical subject is facing away from the camera, the expressions on his pupils faces speak perhaps more about the subject than a picture of their face would have done. One player looks ashamed, another is focused, the next seems unconvinced by him. Knowing what I do about this coach, his team, and the environment around it perhaps makes this a better photo in my eyes, but it is still my favorite regardless. I also feel the lighting and shading of this photo provide an accurate metric for the mood at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment