Friday, November 15, 2019

Week 7 Blogpost

Week 7 Blogpost

Hometown Project
I'm going to try to center my project within a few blocks of where I've grown up, on Liberty Street near West Albany High School. I've lived my whole life on the Dead End, and I feel like many of the people in my neighborhood would appreciate it if I could find some novelty in the banality of their daily lives. For a portrait subject I plan on shooting my neighbor Marilyn; she is one of the oldest members of the community, a community volunteer, and owning three houses on our small street makes her more or less our local slumlord. My neighborhood is moderate-low income, and there aren't a lot of landmarks around. I see two options, I could slightly expand the scope to include downtown, where I could get an image of the Pix Theatre, or I could take a photo of West Albany High School; it undoubtedly defines my sect of community. Shooting an activity will be a challenge; not a lot happens. I will have to try and find something special in the expressions of my neighbors in their garden or something to that effect. The activity will definitely be hardest, even just in terms of finding an interesting subject, or making the subject seem more interesting.

Photostory
Rocketry Club is a potential subject for a photostory. I am going to shoot one of their groups this coming week for a previous assignment, and I'm already aware that their goal is to send a rocket to 30,000 feet. It could be an interesting environment depending on when it takes place and how competitive or serious the members are. I will have to feel the situation out more when I go to visit. Then I would need to figure it out with the club administrators and the students themselves, although I don't think it would be a problem.

A day in the life of a working class student has a lot of potential. I have a couple of friends whom I admire very much that bear a lot of responsibility for people who are yet to see their second decade. Diego Casillas is my most interesting subject; he takes care of his younger siblings every day while his parents work, attends class for engineering here at LB, and then goes to to work a full time job. There could be some powerful images in his daily life, because a person so young has to do so much. In order to do this I would need his permission, the permission of his family, and the permission of his employer.

No comments:

Post a Comment